Touching on Everything and Anything

Monday, March 23, 2009

boston.com Article about Rooting for the Home Team

So my brother sent me this article today and it had to do with fans who root for their home teams. This is the type of article that some people are going to love and others are going to hate. It makes some fair points, regardless of whether or not you agree with what is being said.
In brief what the article says is that being a fair weather fan and changing your favorite teams based on the season is more reasonable from the fan perspective than staying loyal to a home town team. Over time you are rooting for an entirely different group of players with your ticket money going to different owners. The bottom line is the article is that why bother going through the disappointment of losing season when you can always be rooting for a contender?
My brother told me before I read this article that it will probably "grind my gears" and he was absolutely correct. A large part of being a fan is sticking with a team through both the good years and the not so good years. I know how illogical this may sound to a non-fan, the idea of a person keeping an allegiance to something that they owe nothing and changes its members from year to year. All I can say is that you will never fully understand being a fan until you are one yourself.
It says something about a fan when you can stick with a team through the coarse of a lifespan. When a team finally wins it is so much better after watching years of frustration. I can say this with certainty after watching the Giants win the 08 Super Bowl. I watched them during the days of Dave Brown and go to see them improve to the height of Super Bowl champions. I didn't switch to a better team at the beginning of each and every season, there is something wrong to me about even thinking about quitting on one of your teams.
This is the first article that I saw that went about defending the fair weather fan and I have to admit it did do a very good job defending a very difficult position. I get what this author is saying but as much as it makes sense I will never follow this path of logic.

1 comment:

  1. I'm very intrigued by his argument as well... but I ultimately think the greater emotional attachment of sports fandom is more valuable.

    ReplyDelete