Touching on Everything and Anything

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

US Postal Service: where is it headed?

Some things I really feel are better the old fashion way. One of those things is taking a walk to the mailbox outside my house to find a letter from a friend or family member. I don't know exactly what it is but it is so much better than opening up your email. It could have to do with having a hard piece of paper in your hand or it may have something to do with the fact that I know when I get a letter from a friend they put more planning into this than they did an ordinary email. These are some of the reasons that I am not happy to see the US Postal Service in trouble.
When the internet first went mainstream I don't feel the postal service saw it as a huge threat but slowly but surly email crept up and now it has passed the postal service in terms of popularity and ease of usage. You don't have to leave your house or spend money on a stamp and due to this and many other factors email has taken over and the postal service needs help.
On May 11th the postal service is raising its prices by another two cents, bringing the cost of a postage stamp to 44 cents. Something that the postal service is doing is selling something known as forever stamps which can be used forever no matter what the price of a stamp may be. If you are like me and still like to send and receive letters every once in a while this is a good chance to stock up on stamps
Some people see the USPS as useless at this point in time but again there is something classically personal about sending someone a letter or a card for their birthday. I mean look at it this way, which would you be happier to get for your birthday; a card in the mail or a facebook wall post/email? Some people are not 'big into birthdays' but, coming from someone who does appreciate being acknowledged on their birthday I can tell you that I would rather get that card than the facebook wall post or email.

No comments:

Post a Comment